Central government deeply regrets shooting incident in Nagaland: Amit Shah in Lok Sabha
Interior Minister Amit Shah expressed his anguish over the incident on Sunday, approving the deaths. | Photo credit: ANI
- Interior Minister Amit Shah said on Monday army shot at vehicle after receiving reports of extremist movement and ambushing
- Six of the eight people in the vehicle died, while two others were injured. As a result, residents surrounded the army unit and set fire to two vehicles and attacked them.
- Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio ordered a high-level investigation into the incident
New Delhi: Interior Minister Amit Shah made a statement to Lok Sabha on Monday about a recent altercation at the Nagaland border in which civilians were mistakenly killed by security forces. A dozen residents and a jawan were reportedly killed in the village of Oting, in Mon district, during the clashes on Saturday. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had also held meetings with key ministers in parliament to discuss various issues, including the Nagaland shooting incident today.
“The army had received information about the movement of extremists in Oting on Monday. On this basis, 21 commandos ambushed the suspected area. A vehicle arrived there, it was reported to stop but it was tried to flee. On suspicion of the vehicle carrying extremists, he was shot, “the Minister of the Interior told Lok Sabha. It was only later that it was discovered that this was a case of mistaken identity.
Six of the eight people in the vehicle died, while two others were taken to the nearest health center by the military after sustaining injuries. “After receiving the news, local villagers surrounded the army unit, set two vehicles on fire and attacked them,” Shah added.
Shah also said he spoke to senior officials in Nagaland and added that the Center deeply regretted the incident. Although tense, the situation in Nagaland remains under control.
According to some reports, security personnel opened fire on young Naga after suspecting them of being terrorists. Angry villagers also set fire to the vehicles of the security forces. Some people were reportedly shot dead when security forces opened fire to control the crowd. Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has since ordered a high-level investigation into reported killings of civilians by security forces.
On Monday morning, Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio attended the funerals of the killed civilians. “I spoke to the Union Minister of the Interior, he takes the issue very seriously. We have provided financial assistance to the affected families,” he said. Rio said they were asking the central government to pull AFSPA out of Nagaland.
Earlier on Sunday, Shah had expressed anguish over the incident, approving of the deaths. “I extend my deepest condolences to the families of those who have lost their lives. A high-level SIT appointed by the state government will thoroughly investigate this incident to ensure justice is served to the bereaved families,” tweeted the minister of the Interior.
Opposition leaders have called for a statement from the Shah on Nagaland’s dismissal since Parliament was convened on Monday morning. Several opposition MPs have also filed notices in Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha to discuss the incident. Amid the opposition’s demand for the Home Secretary’s statement, the Rajya Sabha was adjourned until 2 p.m.